Redesigning a learning app and optimising the user experience based on collected user data.
start-up, 20+ employees, 3 investments
2 front-end, 2 back-end, 1 designer, CTO
Provide their users with math & vocabulary puzzles. The puzzles where visible on your lock screen: to unlock your phone you should choose the correct answer.
The app is particularly effective for users that open their smartphone more than once a day, so they repeated their training almost without being aware that they are learning.
This kind of training speaks to the long term memory whilst a lot of training apps provided quizzes for the short time memory.
Everybody who wants to learn a new language or get better at mental arithmetic, but doesn't seem to find the time for it, or make an effort to open a learning app everyday.
close to 1M
close to 200k
The app had been in the Play store for about a year and the team already collected data.
The data was a combination of app analytics and user feedback in the form of direct messages and user interviews.
Altho the content had changed and features were added, no changes had been made to the initial design and structure.
After gathering insides from the team and analyzing the data, I could define 3 main issues
The app had grown rapidly with new functionalities due to user feature requests.
The app structure was very limited and new features where therefor ‘hidden’ in the settings menu.
Users didn’t want to install the app because it was too big.
80% of the app size was due to the - vintage - design. The vintage look was achieved by structured background images, bevels & embossed elements, imagery & icons
Users didn’t really understand how to start using the app on the lock screen.
Using the lock screen included giving the app permission to change settings on their phone, which where very technical and difficult to understand.
An extensive settings menu with features, app info, company info and app configurations
organizing the items into categories to have a better overview of the amount of items to work with
A more organized settings menu
Creating hypotheses and testing the mockups among our user-base
The settings menu is still too overwhelming and hard to understand the categories
defining sub-categories to make it more easy to navigate and find the right feature
Features are still not easy to find by the user
placing the settings and features there where the user expects to make changes or where the users only needs 1 click
we tested the app with our alpha users, the feedback we got was mostly focussed on improving the description of the text so it was more understandable.
After adjusting the descriptions we launched the newly designed app to the public.
5% increase of app installs and daily active users.
Satisfied users that could finally find and use the features they had asked for.
Optimized collaboration between Design & Development, making it faster to launch & test new features